The I-551 is the name for the green card. The I-551 STAMP can be used when you need to travel outside the country, but are waiting for your green card after it has been renewed/lost. Sometimes the renewal process can take a year and if your green card expires during that time or you have already begun the renewal process, but have to travel, you’ll need to get an I-551 stamp. The I-551 stamp is proof that a legal permanent resident has lawful status, but he or she is waiting for the actual green card.
In order to receive the I-551 stamp, there are a few steps that need to be done first.
- You should make an InfoPass appointment at your local office.
- When you go to the appointment, you should bring the following along:
- Unexpired, valid passport
- I-90 receipt notice
- Appointment Notice
- Proof of Residence in local office jurisdiction
- Copy of expired green card (if applicable)
- Copy of biometrics completion notice (if applicable)
The stamp is valid for one year and can be used as proof of status, which will allow you to leave and re-enter the US. But the duration could change based on a number of factors including the expiration date of your passport.
If you have any questions about the I-551 stamp, please call our office at 508-438-1198.